Thread: Possibly sick boa...

Default Possibly sick boa...

I've been making a lot of topics today. ><;;

I was at the store where I buy my live feeder mice today and usually I don't see anything I would be worried about. They've been open for generations and the puppies they hand select from breeders (no puppy mills so they say) always look healthy and happy. They've had a big Sulcatta for 18 years and he's super friendly and looks fine from what I can tell. Their parrot is a bit mean but he always says hello!

Anyway, I've been watching their adult red tail boa when I go in. At first just to look at a cool snake, but then I noticed he's a bit strange. He usually stays hidden under his hide, but last week he had his head stuck out and was hovering 180 degrees out, not sticking out his tongue, not moving at all. I thought he was just being weird. Today I went in to pick up food for Crem and he was completely out of his hide, "stargazing", or literally sticking straight up, 90 degree angle, no tongue movement, just staring straight up at the top of the cage. I also was able to get a pretty good look at his body and he's got an awful case of mites. They're everywhere, crawling in and out of his scales.

They're not specifically a reptile store and they don't keep very many other reptiles, I'm slightly inclined to believe they aren't aware how severe the situation could be. Should I say something next time I go in? I was really really shocked to see that boa straight up like that today. I was just nervous because the person working this morning was a really intimidating looking old lady.

Default Re: Possibly sick boa...

Oh i'd definately say something. I cant stand when overpriced pet stores mistreat or miscare for the animals they are trying to sell. I would actually call or go back today, that snake needs medical attention immediately as do the other snakes if the mites have spread. Poor guy, I feel sorry for him

Yeah, I'm going to go back in tonight when the person who I'm more familiar with is working their shift. The only other snake they have is an albino corn and it looks really good. ><;; I've had to tear myself away from it a couple times already. It gloooows.

I'm going to arm myself with information before I do go. I'm pretty sure the "stargazing" is IBD (I was super paranoid about accidentally killing my baby Borneo and did hours of research before he got to me), and according to a LOT of sites, it's common to see mites with the disease. But it's super fatal and there's no cure, most sites say euthanization is the only way, and for some reason I feel like the store might not take to kindly to that information...

I agree but, if the snake is going to die anyway, wouldnt they rather let it go humanly then suffer? Or worse what if someone buys it and that person has other snakes? It could get way worse

Well there's a tornado two towns over from me, so going out is no longer an option.

But I DID call the shop and ask if they had an e-mail, which they do, so I'm currently writing them and providing links with information.

Ooh and I just noticed their site says "we have some very healthy red tail boas".

I'm glad you're saying something too. It could be due to lack of knowledge, or it could be they simply just don't care. Either way, that poor snake needs help. Hopefully they take your advice!

“Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold...” ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by Leesah View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to go back in tonight when the person who I'm more familiar with is working their shift. The only other snake they have is an albino corn and it looks really good. ><;; I've had to tear myself away from it a couple times already. It gloooows.

I'm going to arm myself with information before I do go. I'm pretty sure the "stargazing" is IBD (I was super paranoid about accidentally killing my baby Borneo and did hours of research before he got to me), and according to a LOT of sites, it's common to see mites with the disease. But it's super fatal and there's no cure, most sites say euthanization is the only way, and for some reason I feel like the store might not take to kindly to that information...
    It's possible that it's IBD, but more likely that the stargazing is due to a respiratory infection. I wouldn't jump to the worst conclusion first. If those are the only snakes they have, I hope that they try to treat it and the mites and give the snake a chance first. To be on the safe side, I would avoid buying reptiles from them though.

keep us posted on what happens

Wow, I totally forgot to update this on Monday when I went in.

Although I never got a response to the e-mail, it looks like action was taken. The boa was out of his hide and
    relaxing at the hot end of his enclosure. He seemed MUCH more alert and "with it" than before. I couldn't see
    much of him very well but I did make a point to check him the best I could and I didn't see any mites.