Thread: Vision V322 Setup and Maintenance

Default Vision V322 Setup and Maintenance

Hey all 👋🏾, how is everyone doing on this cold NY day?
    My first question in the forum will be about my enclosure. I purchased a used Vision V322 during a moment of weakness and am now trying to get everything right for my little guy. It was apparently set up for either a lizard or a snake that climbs as it had both a shelf and wood bars across the middle installed. Those warped the cage a bit. I didn’t think much of it figuring removing them wouldn’t be difficult and should have minimum affect on overall enclosure. Anyway, I covered the drilled holes with gorilla tape from the outside, removed both the shelf and bars and cleaned out the enclosure before putting my lil’guy in there.
    Now my issue is humidity levels and heat. I am using lamps and heat pads. Within my reading I have noticed that lamps do not seem to be necessary. I am about to purchase a large heat pad for one side and maybe stick the others to the outside side wall on the other to get the temperature gradient with the use of a Herpstat.

1. I am going for 84 on the warm side and 78 on the cool side. Does this sound adequate?

2. What is the best way to maintain consistent humidity without daily misting?
    I have an L shaped rear combo vent and I am using newspaper and cypress mulch as the substrate. Though after adding the mulch it became much harder to maintain the humidity. The little guy likes to dig so I figured it would be a plus for him but it is making things more complicated himidity wise.
    With just newspaper I had 55-62% fairly consistent. When I added the mulch it dropped to between 40-54%.

3. He is generally pretty active and inquisitive about his enclosure after handling. I am handling him roughly 5 times a week for between 10-15 minutes each. This is with two day without handling after he eats. Is this to much, to little or as long as he is good with it it is fine?

4. There is a slight noise when he breathes. Not quite a pop, maybe a “pip” or something to that effect. Is this RI or am I being over cautious and worried?

5. I currently have two hides set up for him in the enclosure. Though I am pretty sure the enclosure is to big for him at present. Would it be better to section it off maybe in half to make him feel more secure. He seems fine but I have no idea how to interpret his stress. If it makes it better for him I will certinly do it or even if a smaller enclosure like a 24x12 is better I can do that as well. Just want my little guy in the best situation possible.

6. Was looking at he Herpstat 2. Though they make 1 and an EZ models as well. Any particular opinion on the model of Herpstat?

I am forgetting stuff but will add new posts as I learn and develop questions.
    Thank you in advance for the help people 👍🏾.

Default Re: Vision V322 Setup and Maintenance

1. Given what you said about a slight "pip" when he breathes, I'd shoot for no lower than 80 ambient and a warm spot of 86 or so.
    2. You can create a humid hide with moss that he can utilize for extra humidity. Otherwise, misting the cage is most likely your best bet, and gives you another opportunity to observe your snake & note any changes in behavior.
    3. As long as your snake is relaxed and doesn't appear to be stressed by the handling, that should be fine, but if you are concerned about potential respiratory issues as noted in #4, reducing handling may be wise until the problem is resolved.
    4. Definitely something to keep an eye on in the event it is the beginning of a respiratory issues. While these snakes are "heavy breathers" by nature, you'll want to learn to discern what is normal for your python and what isn't. If he isn't exhibiting any other signs of respiratory irritation & his enclosure is dialed in correctly, it shouldn't be cause for concern.
    5. You may want to consider using a smaller tub or tote that is placed within the larger cage to help better control temperature and humidity. You can graduate him up to larger tubs and eventually into the cage as he grows.
    6. It's always better to have more thermostat than you need & grow into it as your husbandry needs/collection evolves, than to have to add and upgrade down the line. I'd start off with a 2 if possible (or a 6 if you're feeling froggy). Get in touch with Zack Green who is a member here, a well-known individual in the blood python community, and a Herpstat distributor.

Default Re: Vision V322 Setup and Maintenance

Thank you very much...your guidance is greatly appreciated. So glad I am a member of this forum!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon: