Thread: Blood Python vs Boa!

Default Blood Python vs Boa!

Hey guys! This is my first post on this forum. Recently I was given the go-ahead for another snake! This will happen around March of 2018 and I will be able to get a nice PVC cage,RHP and a Herpstat! I cant decide between Blood Pythons or Boas though. I am a 14 year old and I currently own a Ball Python. My main delema is that blood pythons seem to have more specific needs than Ball Pythons. I'd like to know what you think! (I also posted this on a diffrent forem but thought I would also post here since it is about bloods after all )
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python (Dean)
    --------------------------------
    Wish List
    SD Retic
    Blood Python( Normal And Ivory)
    Hog Island Boa
    --------------------------
    I can also be found on BP.net

Default Re: Blood Python vs Boa!

If you're doing a nice PVC cage with a RHP & a Herpstat (schweeet!), you should be able to provide for your snake's needs pretty sufficiently. Based off of what you have read regarding blood python husbandry, what are your biggest concerns with using the setup you've described?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kara@TBC:

Well, some of what I have read is kind of conflicting. Some people say hatchlings do better in tubs and need ambient heat only. Some people say it's okay if they have a graniet. Besides that I think I should be able to keep one of these beautiful sausages
    Wish List
    SD Retic
    Hog Island Boa

Hi PythonWannaBe,

Just in case you haven't read the articles yet, Kara's put together one of the best (if not THE best) care resources on the web for these guys right here (click the "Blood/STP Info" tab on main page). Here's a little chunk I pulled out of the "Captive Environment" section regarding juvenile heating in tubs:

"A range of 80° - 84° Fahrenheit suits all three species well. As such, our snake rooms are calibrated to 82 degrees on average, with an overnight low of 79-80°. Some of our adult pythons prefer warmer basking areas, whether gravid females or snakes that have simply shown a preference for more heat. These pythons are provided a basking spot of 86° - 88° Fahrenheit, using radiant side heat within our snake racks. Since the pythons in our juvenile snake room are not offered basking spots, we allow the temperatures to run slightly warmer - 80° for the low, and up to 84° for a daytime high. At these temperatures, our blood and short-tailed pythons thrive. They eat without hesitation or issue, they're calm and comfortable within their enclosures and during handling, and show no signs of stress."
    http://bloodpythons.com/index.php/bl...ve-environment

In regard to your main question -- one piece of advice I like to give to young keepers starting out in herpetoculture: be patient, and choose the animal that you care the most about or find the most interesting/exciting. Think of your herpetocultural journey as a marathon -- you can always add to the collection in the future to check things off of that "wish list"
    If you have access to the basic husbandry materials listed (enclosure, RHP, and herpstat) you can accommodate a wide range of reptiles with sufficient research and preparation. I know it's particularly challenging when you are dependent on your family or others for transportation, etc., but if you can attend show(s) or visit someone's collection to get hands on experience, that can often give you a lot of information about where your heart is on the matter. If you haven't already, YouTube videos of the species in question can convey additional information about behavior that is difficult to demonstrate in photos/writing.

ANYWAY -- I think there are some additional considerations aside from husbandry that might affect your decision. What are your expectations? What is it about each snake that you think you might like or dislike? Do you have any financial limitations? In any case, I always encourage folks to buy their animals from a reputable breeder for a long list of reasons (healthier/more robust, usually more docile, breeder support, higher quality genetic lineage, etc etc). Also note that, while you can make assumptions about general behavior based on species, all snakes are individuals (I noticed in your other post that handling might be important to you, which is why I bring this up). You may have a boa that puts on an impressive, defensive mouth-open hissing display every time you open the enclosure, or you may end up with a completely placid individual that is as easy to work with as a ‘typical’ ball python. Naturally, a lot of this is dependent on the source (CB from breeders, again, is best) and providing proper care and working with the animal goes a LONG way, but some individuals are inherently more timid or laid-back than others.
    Jeff Howell

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffreH:

Thank you so much for that reply! I actually have read that caresheet, but Im trying to get as much information as I can. I do have limitations(like anyone) but I have a part time job and that helps alot! I really favor the Bloods(And short-tails in general) over the Boids because they are so much cooler in my eyes and the colors of even normal bloods are stunning! Thats not to say Boa's arn't great snakes that have beautiful morphs but I just love the Bloods. I would like to handle the snake and understand that each snake is an individual. Really I cant find anything to dislike about Bloods although I guess the myths surrounding them could be counted as a downside.
    Wish List
    SD Retic
    Hog Island Boa

Myths are myths - I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

You can genuinely find very calm and predictable captive bred blood and short-tails these days. Find a reputable breeder and talk to them about what you want; use them as a resource. My blood for example is probably the most chill snake I’ve ever owned. I can freely pull him out of his enclosure at any time, I can trust him around kids, and he doesn’t even strike at his F/T rats (I just place it warmed up on a dinner plate in there and he noms it when he feels like it).

When I was at Matt Turner’s (Selective Origins) most of the babies were pretty calm, because he’s never given them any reason to feel threatened. This is kind of unusual in snake-land as most juveniles of any species can be a bit jumpy or nervous until they learn to trust you. It seems some of the Sumatran short-tail lineages, in particular, are practically like plush toys. You can certainly find a captive bred baby from a breeder that is beautiful, healthy, and has been provided with the best foundation to become a trustworthy snake that tolerated handling well.
    Jeff Howell

I've been looking at Morphs on Morphmarket and found a male Ivory(Super Matrix) from Bob Clark. That snake was beautiful!
    Wish List
    SD Retic
    Hog Island Boa

Ivories are beautiful indeed =)

I would personally stay away from the auction sites or bargain animals. You tend to get what you pay for with these guys, and a good breeder will be available in the long-term as a resource and will stand behind the health and quality of their animals. I'm not really one to trash talk others, but I also think transparency is incredibly important when representing animals... There have been more than one instance where Bob Clark has sold hybrid blood and short-tail pythons while representing them as pure. One particular instance was actually a "black ivory", the ugly and relatively genetically useless mutt that results from breeding Sumatran short-tail (P. curtus) x Blood (P. brongersmai). They can look a bit like normal ivories to the untrained eye, but muddier, and the community generally looks down on them with extreme prejudice.

Your best bet is to look into different breeders and what they plan to pair this coming season. You can find out whose planning on hatching ivories for 2018 and can potentially get dibs on a baby when the May-August hatch usually occurs. You'll find juvies are not only better priced, but at this point down the selective breeding chain they should have very nice color and pattern as well. I would try Nick @ Cold-Blooded Earth (https://www.coldbloodedearth.com/shop). You can certainly make an inquiry post here in the forum to see whose selling or plans to potentially hatch ivories in 2018 as well. We can help you find your dream snake =)

Don't mean to preach opinions, just my $0.02!
    Jeff Howell

Thanks! I've heard some bad reviews surrounding Bob so I wasn't planning on buying one of his animals. I probably will post here asking about Ivory breeders. I am actually interested in breeding in the future so I want to get a quality snake Also I've been looking at more morphs and found 007's and died a little bit So pretty
    Wish List
    SD Retic
    Hog Island Boa